Football 3 years ago

Heat on FFA after Sydney FC players melt

  • Heat on FFA after Sydney FC players melt

Sydney FC defender Matthew Jurman was almost made to pay for a horrible mistake in his side's 0-0 draw with Perth Glory in Saturday night's A-League clash at nib Stadium.

In a match where there were few clear-cut opportunities, Jurman could only watch on in horror as his 74th-minute chest-down to Sydney goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic was picked off by Chris Harold.

Luckily for the Sky Blues, Harold's looping shot sailed over the goals, ensuring Sydney escaped with a point from a match played in 34-degree heat.

You might also like

The result means Sydney drops to fourth following Western Sydney's win earlier in the day, while Glory remain second last with just four points to their name.

It also means Glory haven't scored since their 3-1 win over Adelaide on October 25, with the drought now stretching more than six hours.

But in a positive note for Glory, their makeshift defensive pairing of Aryn Williams and Alexander Grant held up well, allowing Michael Thwaite to flourish in the midfield.

Chances were few and far between in a lacklustre first half, with both teams putting premium importance on possession as they adjusted to the heat.

The first real sniff on goal didn't arrive until the 22nd minute, when Glory defender Josh Risdon's long range strike sailed harmlessly wide.

Sydney striker Filip Holosko had his own half chance in the 28th minute, but his tame header was easily saved.

At the other end, Sky Blues defender Sebastian Ryall did well to block out Richard Garcia as the Glory skipper was about to unleash a close-range strike.

The stifling heat wasn't only affecting the players, with Sydney coach Graham Arnold told to calm down by the fourth official shortly before half-time.

Glory coach Kenny Lowe got the same treatment soon after the break as as the match livened up.

Substitute Matt Simon had Sydney's best chance of the match in the 68th minute, but his close-range header sailed just wide.

Ryall again came to Sydney's rescue in the second half, with his sliding tackle blocking out a dangerous run from Garcia close to goal.

In the previous clash between the two sides, Sydney triumphed 3-0 on a day where Glory were thrown out of the finals after being found guilty of rorting the salary cap.

Glory fans expressed their anger towards the club's hierarchy by setting off a series of flares during the match.

But it was a much quieter experience this time around, with only 6976 attending the game in the soaring Perth heat.

0 0
please wait...